Holidays Observed by the Federal Reserve System 2016-2019
The Federal Reserve System, commonly referred to as “The Fed”, is the central bank of the United States, created by Congress in 1913. According to the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System, the Fed has four main responsibilities:
- Conducting the nation’s monetary policy by influencing money and credit conditions in the economy in pursuit of full employment and stable prices.
- Supervising and regulating banks and other important financial institutions to ensure the safety and soundness of the nation’s banking and financial system and to protect the credit rights of consumers.
- Maintaining the stability of the financial system and containing systemic risk that may arise in financial markets.
- Providing certain financial services to the U.S. government, U.S. financial institutions, and foreign official institutions, and playing a major role in operating and overseeing the nation’s payments systems.
For holidays falling on Saturday, Federal Reserve Banks and Branches will be open the preceding Friday; however, the Board of Governors will be closed. For holidays falling on Sunday, all Federal Reserve offices will be closed the following Monday. Please visit http://www.federalreserve.gov/aboutthefed/k8.htm for more information.
|New Year’s Day||January 1||January 2||January 1||January 1|
|Martin Luther King, Jr. Birthday||January 18||January 16||January 15||January 21|
|Washington’s Birthday||February 15||February 20||February 19||February 18|
|Memorial Day||May 30||May 29||May 28||May 27|
|Independence Day||July 4||July 4||July 4||July 4|
|Labor Day||September 5||September 4||September 3||September 2|
|Columbus Day||October 10||October 9||October 8||October 14|
|Veterans Day||November 11||November 11*||November 12||November 11|
|Thanksgiving Day||November 24||November 23||November 22||November 28|
|Christmas Day||December 26||December 25||December 25||December 25|
* Saturday – the Board of Governors is closed on November 10, 2017.
The Board of Governors is closed in observance of Inauguration Day, January 20, 2017.